Thursday, September 26, 2013

I'm Still Working Towards Happiness

Yeah, about those "Daily Gratitudes" . . .

Been a tough few weeks; I haven't had the time to blog. While I haven't documented my daily gratitudes lately, I have keep them in mind. I find that just making a mental note of what I'm grateful for that day combats frustration, angry feelings, and ill humor. And it also helps to think about positive things that have recently happened-- in the last 24 to 48 hours. Even further back than that if the event had a big enough positive impact on your mood.

For example . . .

Old Friends & Happiness

I have a really good friend that I keep up with on the other side of the world from where I live. Naturally, we mainly keep up via the Internet. My friend seemed to have fallen silent in an abrupt way. I began to worry that something rather serious happened. Turned out to be a technical issue. What a relief!

I also bumped into a really old friend in the grocery store by happenstance. I felt really great after our talk. We have made plans to catch up and not be so distant now that we realize we live close by.

I cannot deny now that-- for me at least-- keeping up with friends plays a role in my happiness. These events happened over the course of a few weeks. But even today, reflecting on them makes me feel happier.

New Friends & Happiness

Meeting new people can bring about it's risks. I shy away from making new friends because, well honestly, I can "do bad" by myself pretty well. Don't really need any help with that. But when you make a new, good friend, you are about as well off as running into an old, good friend.

Again, by happenstance, I ventured to hang around after work and ask a co-worker about one of his hobbies. The question sparked a conversation that had to be finished over hot wings and beer. We shared so much in common without ever realizing it. Now, we both feel less isolated and more connected because we shared things that we don't often get to openly express to others around us. I think that's called "venting".

Again, I cannot deny how keeping social has a positive impact on happiness. I think about our conversation still and I'm very glad that I have connected with someone new that seems to have a lot in common with me.

Challenges

While I never expect to be a master at the ultimate game, I have been practicing Go / Wei Chi / Baduk problems. I get a thrill from getting the correct answers, and I try to learn from my mistakes and strengthen my mental acumen. I have enjoyed doing this. And I confess . . . practicing Go may have kept me from blogging now and then these past few weeks.

Still working at it

I may go quite again for a while, but I'm still working at happiness. I'm still exercising, too, which is helping a lot. I'll try to get back on track with my journal after this weekend. But, if you don't hear from me-- don't assume I've given up. I'm probably off somewhere having a good time.

--
If you haven't already done so, I invite you to read my main title post in order to better understand the purpose behind this blog. In that post, you'll find links to three TED Talks that could really impact your life in a positive way.

No comments:

Post a Comment