Friday, July 12, 2013

An Act of Kindness

My Daily Gratitudes: 07/12/2013

I'm grateful for finally figuring out how to get Active Directory and ownCloud to play together. I felt like I won first place in a race!

I'm grateful for the picture my daughter drew for me and gave me before I rushed off to work. When I finally stopped to look at it, it really made me smile.

I'm grateful for my mom keeping our kids during the summer when my wife and I are at work. I don't know what else we'd do.

* * *

Positive event from the past 24 hours:

Since I worked out every day this week-- today is my rest day and free day to eat whatever I want. I enjoyed a hamburger and fries at one of my favorite burger joints. I eat there so much that all their faces are familiar to me, even though I don't know their names. One of those employees who seemed to be on break looked a bit distressed and eventually approached me and the kids (my wife was out with friends). I thought she was going to ask us if we wanted refills. Instead, she asked if we were headed in her direction. I guess my face was familiar to her as well.

I thought about the prospect that random acts of kindness can help one towards happiness. Shaking hands build trust and social networks help make us feel better. I almost said no, but then I put myself in her shoes and remembered having similar challenges in my life. She was a long way from home.

We finished our meal and took her home. She introduced herself and we shook hands. We talked and the kids talked, too.

I'm glad I did it. Not for the points, or a star in a crown, or even for my own happiness' sake. I'm glad to have helped another fellow human in their time of need. And for some reason, that makes me feel good, in and of itself.

--
If you haven't already done so, I invite you to read my main title post in order to better understand the purpose behind this blog. In that post, you'll find links to three TED Talks that could really impact your life in a positive way.

No comments:

Post a Comment