Sunday, July 28, 2013

Time to be Happy

If happiness is a skill, then learning that skill can take time. Do you have time to be happy?

I've noticed that exercise has really given me an energy boost lately. I have energy for chores that I would normally avoid. Once I get the chores done, I feel like I have more free time to enjoy for myself.

I've also found that extra energy keeps me from waisting time from just lying around in general. Rather than just remaining sedentary and unproductive, I move around more and look for things to do. Just by having a little more energy, I gain more time. And by having more time, I can do things I enjoy more often.

OK. Chores don't count when it comes to things I enjoy. But even getting chores done have a positive impact towards having more time.

But wouldn't I have even more free time if I just don't do any chores at all and use the extra energy for something more fun?

Not necessarily. Important (but dull) chores like laundry, dishes, and organizing your living space save you time in the long run. However, if you don't have the energy for it, you tend to let these things pile up. The stress from all that disorder in your living space compounds your sense of fatigue and can darken your overall mood.

If you're tired and feel like you never have time to do the necessary things, then perhaps the solution is that you need to dedicate time for pursuing happiness.

Start your pursuit by taking on an exercise routine that is right for you. Then, take that extra energy and re-invest it into making your living space clutter free and clean. Make time for exercise and make changes to your routine or living space that will make exercising easier to achieve. Once that's done, you may find that cleaning house will lift your mood even though housework can be an activity many people avoid or loath. I've come to notice that the mood of each family member in my home improves when our house is clean. To me-- such results are worth the drudgery of cleaning house. Besides, once you've got the worst behind you, maintenance will become easier and easier.

To me, exercise is an important tool for achieving happiness. Physical activity not only increases dopamine levels which lift your mood, but give you the energy to do more than you normally would when compared to a sedentary lifestyle. Just having more time should make you a little more happy. Now compound that benefit by using that extra time to further hone the skill of happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment