Sunday, July 7, 2013

DSPD, Coffee Management, and Breakfast in Bed

My Daily Gratitudes -- 07/07/2013

I'm grateful that my kids care enough about me and their mommy that they woke us up to scrambled eggs and toast in bed.

I'm grateful for the fact that just three songs from Metallica's Master of Puppets album can get me through my 20 minute workout.

Back to the front!

I'm grateful that my wife gave me some feedback and helped me with kicking off this blog!

I'm grateful to have enough spare time to actually think some today and work on something I enjoy. Ahhh, that's good feeling.



***

I actually got up at 08:00 on a Sunday morning! Wow! See . . . you don't understand. While I haven't been formally diagnosed, I'm fairly sure I have Delayed Sleep-Phase Disorder. So, I usually don't wake up until after 12:00-- sometimes even as late as 15:00 on weekends because I didn't get to sleep until sometimes between 04:00 and 06:00 that same morning. I struggled a lot with waking up throughout the week. Luckily, the nature of my job gives me some wiggle room and schedule flexibility.

I've been trying to take melatonin more at night and I've cut back on the coffee. I'm holding my coffee consumption to 8 ounces currently; in the world of coffee-- that's actually a cup and a half. I know, 8 ounces is "one cup", but for coffee, 6 ounces is the standard cup size (think, serving size) for many coffee brews. So, when you fill up that 12 ounce coffee mug, you're drinking more than "a cup" of coffee. You're probably drinking two cups of coffee in one mug.

I was drinking at least four cups (or servings) of coffee a day, all the while thinking I was only drinking two "cups" a day.

Hmmmm . . .

I drink green tea to supplement any other caffeine cravings that I have. And some days I can even skip coffee if I drink enough tea. Green tea doesn't raise cortisol levels like coffee does, so I think that's largely why I can't just outright substitute tea with coffee just yet. I get super drowsy if I quit coffee abruptly. If you have sleep issues that are exasperated by coffee consumption, keep these tips in mind. They make a big difference!

Anyhow-- getting up early (by my standards at least) felt great. I have hope that perhaps I can do it again for tomorrow. And, on top of that, I exercised, too! Then, I mowed the back lawn (the front lawn was the done other day . . .)

Woot! Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment