Saturday, July 13, 2013

Health and Happiness

I've noticed a correlation between the Gallup poll's well-being index and obesity trends in the United States. States that have the highest obesity rates tend to have the lowest well-being index when compared to other states in the Union.

Hmmmm . . .

Correlation doesn't always prove causation; however, I'm personally convinced that obesity can negatively impact the quality of happiness that one can have. Happiness is still possible for obese people, but I think the quality of happiness is probably diminished and having happiness in the long term could be more of a challenge when obesity related diseases start to set in later in life.

These same regions which are suffering from a lower sense of well-being and obesity also seem to be less vibrant financially. All these factors include lower life expectancy when compared with other areas that have higher well-being ratings.

Fighting obesity and managing your physical health is vital to maintaining overall happiness. With this new realization (for me, anyhow), I feel even more committed to my recent restart of my personal exercise program. Happiness will be easier to maintain in my life if I get (and keep) my weight under control. I've yo-yo'ed a lot over the years. But, I've noticed from that experience that I'm at my best when I'm working out; even if I still hadn't gotten out of the obesity weight range. I tend to have more energy and I feel better. I get more done and doing important tasks that I generally dislike get easier tackle. So, I'm convinced now that keeping our bodies in good, healthy shape is paramount to well-being.

If you struggle with weight-- as I do-- I'd like to encourage you to focus more on forming the habit of exercise and diet, rather than focusing on a dress size, pants size, body shape, or body weight. Those things are not your proof of success. You know you're successful only when you look back over the last 24 hours and you can say with honesty that you exercised (provided you weren't too sore from your last work-out, or injured, sick, or dealing with a recent traumatic event). Make that fact your goal above anything else. Don't entertain guilty feelings for missing a target weight after a month of exercise. Don't feel defeated for past failures of stopping and starting a routine over and over again. Forget that fact that you haven't been to the gym in 18 months and gained all of your weight back plus some.

Just focus on the last 24 hours: Did you exercise? Yes?

Success!

Now . . . do it again tomorrow (unless it's a scheduled rest day or maybe you're too sore from yesterday's workout. We do need rest from exercise from time to time. Don't over do it-- that's the extreme opposite of not working out at all).

Did you not exercise? Explore what is preventing you from getting started and take away all those excuses. Read Change Anything if you feel stuck, or find some other inspirational book to help you get going. The main thing is-- start the habit. Don't fear failure; turn failure into your ally and conquer your weight issues so that you can seize one of the essential ingredients for making happiness.

Do it; You deserve it.

--
If you haven't already done so, I invite you to read my main title post in order to better understand the purpose behind this blog. In that post, you'll find links to three TED Talks that could really impact your life in a positive way.

No comments:

Post a Comment